Friday, March 18, 2011

The Best Cornbread Ever!

First - I got new canisters and a matching utensil caddy! How cute!


On to the food. Over Christmas, my mom and I were intending on having a cornbread cookoff. Sadly, her cornbread didn't turn out (that says something, doesn't it?), so we had to put off our contest. Seeing a I was cleaning out my cabinets, had a lot of cornmeal, and it's a lovely afternoon suitible for baking, I decided that a batch of cornbread was in order. The original recipe is extremely highly rated on AllRecipes.com. It's super easy, and you do all the mixing in one skillet!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c butter
  • 2/3 c sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 c cornmeal
  • 1 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t salt
Melt butter in a large skillet.


Remove from heat and stir. Add eggs and quickly beat until mixed.


Combine buttermilk and baking soda separately, and then add the buttermilk mixture to the egg/sugar/butter goodness. Add cornmeal, flour, and salt, mix until mostly smooth (it should still be a little lumpy). 


Normally this is where I add about 1/2 c canned corn.
However, I didn't have any  this time, so I  made do without.
Pour into a greased 8" x 8" pan, and bake 30-40 minutes at 375.


Eat and Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I think you must have the luckiest roommates in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's better for my roommates when i make sweets - I just keep encouraging them to eat eat eat the sweets so I don't eat them all.. this cornbread is mostly for me :D

    ReplyDelete